News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: High Platelet count

brownie1191 - Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:46 am

I am a 39 year old female lately I have benn having some constant calf (muscle) pain some days are better than anothers.
I am concern because my Plaletet cout is high from last year it is now 445 and in 2006 around the same time was 262.
The same time I hade my full blood work done I was also diagnosted with H-pylori and the week prior to the test I had upper respetory infection. Could that be the cause of high Platelet Cout.

RBC is 3.72 Low 3.90-5.00
MCV is 96.1 High 80.0-96.0
Eosinophilis is 1 0-6
Monocytes 8 5-12
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:33 pm

User avatar Your elevated platelet count is very consistent with your recent infections. Platelets are an acute phase reactant, meaning that they increase in numbers with any cause of inflammation. In your case, the infections were likely the cause of your inflammation that drove your platelet count up.

You can have them rechecked in a month or so to see if they have returned to normal if there is reason to believe they may still be elevated.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here