Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Is this a brain tumor

coles12 - Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:18 am

Hi im 15 years of age and have had a bad headache for the past two weeks now. It started off with a really bad headache two weeks ago and it seemed to go but sumday night i have been getting twingies of pains and over the week it was getting much much worse So on tuesday i went to a drop in centre with my mum she said there was nothing to worry about and i am still in pain today. My mom rufuses to take me to my doctors or my hospital and because i am under age i cant go myself what can i do
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:09 am

User avatar I can probably give you some better information with a bit more information.

Have you tried any pain relievers to see if they help? Also, can you describe where your headaches are in your head? Do you have any sensitivity to light or sound? Do you get nauseated or vomit with the headache? Where are your pain twinges located? Do the headaches ever wake you up?

coles12 - Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:52 am

I have tried painkillers they have helped me a lot. First of all i got the pain all over my head and not the pain has stopped and i just have a stiff neck with a little earache once every while. I have posted a letter to my doctor asking for a ct scan do you thinks that is appropiate.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:30 pm

User avatar Based on this information I suspect that you are experiencing tension headaches. When pain relievers control headache pain well it is often due to muscle fatigue and "tension".

The other possibility is a migraine. Classically migraines are associated with light or sound worsening the pain. The headaches are generally made a little better by sleep.

Brain tumors often cause a headache that is worse in the morning and is associated with nausea (although this is not 100% true).

If your pain is now getting better and you do not have any other neurological signs it is unlikely that you have a brain tumor and a CT scan may not be needed. Also, if you are looking for brain tumors, an MRI is often a better test.

It is important to see your doctor and have a thorough neurological physical exam performed to look for any subtle indicators of a problem.

bocker - Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:28 am

my grandpa is seeing things that arent there and walls change color on him and flowers appear painted on the wall is this a sign of a brain problem?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:41 pm

User avatar Hi Bocker,

There are a number of possible causes for such symptoms. I would say, though, that it is important for your grandfather to have these symptoms evaluated to find out what the cause is as this would not be a "normal" occurrence.

martybump - Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Im a 35 year old male and have had a bump above my right eye for a least the last 5 years. It was always a little sore to the touch but i just thought it was a calcium build up from maybe hitting my forehead on something. recently i've started getting headaches so i went for a ct scan. my doctor said it could be cancer but in another part of the body. If this was the case wouldn't i have discovered this sooner. 5 years seems like a long time for cancer to be active with no signs.

|