News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Sarcoma

Question: should i have a biopsy?

taylormom - Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:24 pm

I'm 41, female, good health, 2 c-sections, surgery to repair ruptured ovarian cyst 14 years ago, my dad has prostate cancer. No current medications

I recently went to a general surgeon to have a lump looked at on my lower back. The lump is hard and feels about the size of an earaser head on the end of a pencil. I was refered to him by my gp, who thought the lump was a lipoma. The surgeon didn't agree with that and ordered an MRI. He said the results were clear and there were no masses anywhere, but he couldn't even see the lump in question. It is definitely there and is, for the most part, painless and non-moveable and seems to be very close to, or attached to the muscle. He wants to wait a year or so to see if it changes or grows. I'm not comfortable with that now that I have researched sarcoma. I asked him if he could do a biopsy and he said he was uncomfortable doing that without having seen in on the MRI, but he wants me to come back in a month so he can look at it again. SHOULD I INSIST ON A BIOPSY?? or ask to be refered to an oncologist since he can't confirm sarcoma, nor rule it out?? I certainly don't want to wait to see if it gets bigger!!! Suggestions please!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:34 pm

User avatar It's interesting that the MRI did not show the mass. Without actually seeing the MRI I cannot definitively comment; however, if the mass is not seen this would indicate that the mass is composed of a material that is similar to the tissue around it.

If you are concerned you most definitely have the right to a second opinion. Most doctors are not offended by this request. I am always happy to have a second look at a challenging case to be sure I'm not missing anything.

Without examining you or seeing your results I cannot give you an opinion about waiting vs. biopsy or other course of action.

I hope this helps a little.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here