Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump Behind Right Ear

JDL687 - Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:37 pm

When I was 12 i had a lymph node infection and developed a large lump behind my right ear. This lump never hurts and is only tender when i touch it alot. I am now 19 years old and have only seen growth as my head itself has grown with my age. The majority of the lump is hard, almost feeling like bone or hard muscle. However i have always had this little circular part at the top of the lump that i am able to move around back and forth. My doctor has never seen it as an issue so I have not worried about it at all. However, I am a bit of a hypercondriac so i worry from time to time. Is this somthing that could be dangerous to me now or somewhere down the line.

Oh also it feels as if the muscle attached to it on my neck is thicker on the side of the lump toward the top.

Thank You.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:30 pm

User avatar Given your previous infection, it is likely that you have some scarring in the lymph node causing it to feel hard and remain larger. The best thing to do is to just keep a mental note of it and watch for any changes. If it begins to enlarge or becomes immobile you should have it evaluated again.

|