Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Enlarged ear lobe/lump underneath

shellpearl - Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:52 pm

I am a 17 year old female and have experienced this same problem more then twice. I rarely ever get sick and have never had any major health issues in the past. I take no current medications.

My left ear lobe will suddenly become itchy, it will then change shape and become thick and enlarged. There is a lump directly underneath my ear, close to my jawline. It is about the size of a marble, and it is painless. This is the third incident, the second incident my ear lobe was much larger then it is now. This usually happens once every few months and will dissapear within 4 days.

I want to know what is causing this, as the recurring every few months are worrying me.

Thank you,
Shelley
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:24 pm

User avatar The lump that you describe is most likely a lymph node. There is a lymph node chain that basically surrounds the ear.

It may be that you are getting some mild skin infection of the ear that is subsequently causing the lymph node to swell in reaction to the infection.

I would recommend that you see your doctor if this happens again to get it evaluated. It's difficult to give you any specific information without evaluating you directly.

|