News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Enlarged ear lobe/lump underneath

shellpearl - Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:52 pm

Hello,

I am a 17 year old female and have experienced this same problem more then twice. I rarely ever get sick and have never had any major health issues in the past. I take no current medications.

My left ear lobe will suddenly become itchy, it will then change shape and become thick and enlarged. There is a lump directly underneath my ear, close to my jawline. It is about the size of a marble, and it is painless. This is the third incident, the second incident my ear lobe was much larger then it is now. This usually happens once every few months and will dissapear within 4 days.

I want to know what is causing this, as the recurring every few months are worrying me.

Thank you,
Shelley
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:24 pm

User avatar The lump that you describe is most likely a lymph node. There is a lymph node chain that basically surrounds the ear.

It may be that you are getting some mild skin infection of the ear that is subsequently causing the lymph node to swell in reaction to the infection.

I would recommend that you see your doctor if this happens again to get it evaluated. It's difficult to give you any specific information without evaluating you directly.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here