News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Swelling in the breasts

godfather - Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:07 pm

Im a 19 year old male, when I was around 13 I got swelling in the left breast, I got it checked out and the docter told me that it was nothing and it may also happen to the right breast later on.

about 6 months or so later the right breast swelled up, is there anyway to get rid of this besides surgery?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:20 pm

User avatar Your condition is termed gynecomastia. It sounds as if you experienced the breast swelling occurred around the time of puberty. This is quite common.

The size of the breast swelling varies. If it is significant it may not completely reduce in size. There are a few medical treatments that can be tried that have varying degrees of success. The most successful treatment is surgery.

I would suggest you talk with your doctor about possibly trying a medical treatment before surgery if you desire. Be sure to discuss the side effects of the medicines so you can make an educated decision.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here