News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Endometrial Cancer

Question: Remove ovaries and cervix for complex atypical hyperplasia

Christacey - Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:39 pm

I am a 36 year old woman - not overweight, have 3 kids but had heavy menstruation. Recently had ablation. Follow-up pathology revealed complex hyperplasia with atypia. Ob/gyn recommended supracervical laproscopic hysterectomy. She wants to leave ovaries in but states she will look at them. Plans to have pathologist look at uterus upon removal during surgery.

I have read that most people have total hysterectomy, some docs stating that if undetected cancer is present that it could spread in abdomen when uterus is cut. I also heard that since complex atypical is estrogen fed that ovaries should go. My doc is leaning towards keeping ovaries and cervix. My surgery is May 22. I am very scared and want things taken care of. I could insist on ovary, fallopian and cervical removal as I am done having kids, but also heard that if you take out ovaries and do ERT it is rough to be young and go through menopause.

What is commonly recommended by onc gyn these days - should I insist on ovary, cervical (total) removal?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:57 pm

User avatar I cannot speak with any expertise; however, if the ovaries are able to be spared this can have significant benefits.

The benefits must be weighed with the risks, though. I would recommend you see another gynecologist or gyn. oncologist for a second opinion. I suspect that your primary gynecologist will even be willing to give you a referal since second opinions can be very helpful.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here