Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: 1 year enlarged supraclavicular/cervical lymph nodes

infinity80 - Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:04 pm

I am female and 27. Early last June 2006 I noticed two enlarged, pea sized left supraclavicular bumps that my doctor told me were lymph nodes. They were somewhat soft and movable. My doctor took a CBC, which turned out to be normal. They didn't go away though, so I had them excised and biopsied in August and was told they normal. I didn't think anything more of it, but in December I felt about 3 or 4 more enlarged lymph nodes in the same place. I was worried since the other ones were removed and whatever caused the others to enlarge had spread to more lymph nodes. I don't have any other symptoms of anything. No fever, or night sweats. So, all together now, I have had enlarged nodes for almost a year. My medications include Zoloft for 4 years for panic attacks and I never had any side effects from it. Also, I have been taking Allegra-D for allergies in the spring and summer for about 2 years. There is no history of cancer in my family. I am wondering if maybe the biopsy could have been wrong though and could have lymphoma. What are the chances my biopsy could have been misread?

Thank you very much.
Brie
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:38 pm

User avatar Your symptoms and the description of your lymph nodes are very consistent with reactive lymph nodes that can occur with infections. After the lymph nodes swell during an infection they may not always shrink back to their original size (remaining about a centimeter or so in size. We refer to these as shotty lymph nodes.

If you begin having any pain in the lymph nodes, or if they begin to increase in size you should have them checked out again.

|