Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Enlarged Lymph near Jaw line

PH - Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:11 pm

I am a 33 years old female. Healthy with no current medications and non-smoker.

I noticed an painless moble enlarged lymph 9 months ago and went to my GP. He checked it and it was firm (Not soft but Not hard according to the GP) and very mobile. it was a submandibular lymph. we waited 2 weeks then he sent me for an xray. It was 10mm in size and looked like a regular enlarged lymph. Blood supplies were normal and nothing to indicate a cancer.

I just did another xray yesterday since it has been 6 months since the first xray and the lymph was still enlarged. The xray showed that the lymph has enlarged a bit more to 15mm in one direction. it still shows normal blood spplies and still looks like a regualr enlarged lymph.

I don't have any night sweats or fever and no fatigue.

GP suggested that we do a biopsy soon...

Is there somthing to worry about?

I really appreciate your reply.

Sorry about my previous post which did not have enough or acurate info.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 02, 2007 1:36 am

User avatar Hi, sorry about the delay in responding. Our board is quite busy.

Regarding your lymph node, your original description is very consistent a reactive lymph node that increased in size after an infection then subsequently never shrank back to its original unnoticable size. This is termed shotty adenopathy.

I suspect given your recent illnesses that produced some sores in the mouth, that the enlargement you now have may be due to this. However, with a lymph node that is progressively getting bigger a biopsy is a wise thing to do just to be sure.

I don't think you have much to worry about but the biopsy will help settle the issue so you will know you have nothing to worry about.

Best wishes. Please note, your previous post was removed just to help keep the board neat since this is the same question.

|