News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia

edcarta - Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:44 am

Statistically speaking, what are the chances of my husband or his 5 siblings contracting CML with their mother being diagnosed with it when she was in her mid-50's? I remember reading about the Philadelphia chromosome, but I also hear that CML has links to radiation and solvents, etc. I have Hairy Cell Leukemia and from time to time, it crosses my mind that my husband could end up with something worse than my condition.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 14, 2007 1:03 pm

User avatar While CML is often caused by a genetic mutation (often, a translocation creating the "Philadelphia Chromosome") it is not considered hereditary.

As such, each of the people you reference would have the same chance of developing CML as any random person you were to choose.

There may be some chemicals, etc. that can increase the odds of developing CML. I am not familiar enough with CML to be able to answer this question.

Best wishes.
 farristers - Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:45 pm

I was diagnosed with CML in January of 1996 and had BMT in march of the same year my sister was the donor.I have been fine until recently I had a blood test done and my ferritin level was greater than 1000 I did have the flu at time of blood test. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or did the flu give me the high ferritin level?
Thanks SF.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here