Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia

edcarta - Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:44 am

Statistically speaking, what are the chances of my husband or his 5 siblings contracting CML with their mother being diagnosed with it when she was in her mid-50's? I remember reading about the Philadelphia chromosome, but I also hear that CML has links to radiation and solvents, etc. I have Hairy Cell Leukemia and from time to time, it crosses my mind that my husband could end up with something worse than my condition.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 14, 2007 1:03 pm

User avatar While CML is often caused by a genetic mutation (often, a translocation creating the "Philadelphia Chromosome") it is not considered hereditary.

As such, each of the people you reference would have the same chance of developing CML as any random person you were to choose.

There may be some chemicals, etc. that can increase the odds of developing CML. I am not familiar enough with CML to be able to answer this question.

farristers - Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:45 pm

I was diagnosed with CML in January of 1996 and had BMT in march of the same year my sister was the donor.I have been fine until recently I had a blood test done and my ferritin level was greater than 1000 I did have the flu at time of blood test. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or did the flu give me the high ferritin level?
Thanks SF.

|