Forum Name: Esophageal Cancer

Question: Hoarse Voice

WorriedTim - Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:59 pm

I am a 29 year old male. I have no family history of throat cancer. I had my tonsils removed when I was 6. I have been a singer since I can remember. I got a very bad cold in October of 2006 that lasted about 1 month and my voice became hoarse. Well now it is almost May of 07 and my voice is still hoarse. I have no pain in my throat. No ear pain no weight loss just a hoarse throat. I used to smoke but I quit. I used to drink but I quit drinking a long time ago. I am healthy I run several miles a day and have no other symptoms. I am scared about my voice I would love for it to clear up but it is not. Do you have any idea what it could be and what I should do for it? Oh I am also not taking any medications.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 28, 2007 2:25 pm

User avatar I would recommend that you see an ear, nose and throat specialist. It is possible that you have some paralysis of your vocal cords. This can happen if there is damage to the recurrent laryngeal nerve that runs along the neck.

A severe infection could potentially cause inflammation that would do this although I would not expect it to last so long. If there is some scarring that is pushing on the nerve it could last for a long time.

The ENT specialist may want to put a small camera down into your upper airway to look at the vocal cords and see if they are moving properly or if there is any indication of what may be going on.

|