Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Pineal cyst/tumour (?) diagnoised yesterday

JodiW - Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:42 am

Hi there,

Last week I went and had a CT scan in realtion to dizzy spells that I had been having for the previous 3 weeks (since going off OCP), about one a week. My doctor told me that this was only precautionary and that he expected that it would all come back clear.

On the scan they found a 21 x 22x 12mm (which is moderate according to my GP but seems to be HUGE in my books) pineal cyst or more correctly what they believe is 'likley a simple pineal cyst' They then went on to say that a it may also be a epidermoid cyst though due to its positioning this is less likley. They then recommended I undergo a MRI. The cyst iself was 'slightly hyperdence to the CSF" and did not light up at all when I was given the contrast agent (iodine by iv)

My GP told me that this meant that they were 'almost certain' that it is a pineal cyst, 'no' it is not a tumour and 'no they did not order the MRI beacause they want to make sure it isnt a tumour, they just want to get a better look at it" He said that I shouldn't be worried and that there is a one in a million chance that they would need to do anything about it... although he did say that my husband and I should stop trying to fall pregnant until this matter is resolved.

So I guess my question is should I be worried that it may actually be a tumour? If my CT results say it is likely a cyst does that mean they are not sure or that it is a cyst but to cover themselves legally I need to have a MRI? Or since they hypothesised it may be either type of cyst is the MRI being done to work out which one? Or is the MRI just so they have a clearer idea of where exactly in the pineal gland ithe cyst is and what is may be resting on?

My GP was very sure (again he used the term almost certain) that it is a cyst and that it is nothing to worry about (apart from the dizzy spells which he believes are unrelated and due to panic attacks) I have no symptoms (all my blood work was normal FHS and LH specifically as well a a bunch of others) and is a incidental finding.

I am absoloutly terrified (very emotional and very panicy) that it is a tumour and/or that if it is a cyst I will need brain surgery. Am I overreacting to just a cyst or should I be going into the MRI thinking that there is a distinct possibility it is cancer because the CT wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two. Surley if there was even a posibility given its location and its size I would been have advised to go straight to hospital.? How often will a CT show somthing to be a cyst (would they call it this if they were not 100% sure) that and then a subsequen MRI will show to be a tumour?

Thanks for you time and in advance for your reply.... as you may be able to tell Im an emotional wreck at the moment!

Ohh Im 26, female and have no notable medical history. I went off OCP 1 week before this began (dizzy spells), had them for 3 weeks ( 3 in total), had a 28 day cycle (like clockwork) and havn't had a dizzy spell in a week and a half.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 18, 2007 2:43 pm

User avatar CT scans are very helpful in imaging the brain; however, they don't give quite as good pictures as an MRI. The MRI is often recommended to get more precise measurements and locations as well as get a better sense of a masses composition.

It sounds from your report that the radiologists have recommended the MRI just to get confirmation of their initial findings. Based on the CT, the likelihood of it being a simple pineal cyst is very high. The MRI will help verify this.

Most tumors will have blood flow to them. Your CT findings show this not to be the case, so a tumor is less likely.

I would agree with your primary doctors interpretation based on the report you have shared.

|