Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: large hard lump on back of the neck

tameloy - Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:22 pm

I am 23 years old and I have had a large, hard lump on the right side of the back of my neck since I was about 16 years old. It has not gotten any bigger, nor has it given me any trouble. Sometimes it worries me though, because it never goes away or gets any smaller. It is a couple inches in size, and it almost feels like a muscle attached to my spine on my neck. Any ideas on what this might be?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue May 29, 2007 8:57 pm

User avatar It sounds a little unusual for this but it may be a calcified area in the muscle. This can happen after a bruise develops in the muscle from some trauma. Typically if it were associated with the muscle it would also move with the muscle.

A lipoma is also possible. These are fat cell tumors that are generally harmless. They don't usually feel very hard. They are usually more rubbery feeling.

A third possibility is that you have a large lymph node that has become fibrous and scarred preventing it from shrinking.

The next time you're in for a well check up have your doctor take a look at it.

tameloy - Wed May 30, 2007 9:12 am

I actually went and had a doctor check it out. He told me that it was an enlarged lipoma. He said that I should not worry about it. What a relief!

|