Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: Radiodermatitis

matteo72 - Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:44 pm

Dear sirs,
I am an Italian 32-year-old mechanical engineer and I am very happy to have found your website, where it is possible to receive professional and competent answers to medical problems about dermatology.

The answer I need does not involve any problem of health of me or any member of my family but it is of prime importance for my private life, therefore I hope that you would not regard my question as trivial.

During the past years, I have been involved in reading books about religion ( I am a Christian Catholic ) and specifically about miracles; these matter is now of big importance for me and I am reading in my spare time everything I can find about the official miracles that the Church regards as " scientifically non-explainable " and as " result of direct intervention of the supernatural powers ".

Specifically, I have been involved in reading everything I can find about Dr. Manuel Nevado Rey, orthopedic surgeon, who is said to have been miraculously cured from chronic radiodermatitis in 1992 through the intercession of Josemaría Escrivá.
Thia fact has been later on the basis for the canonization of Escrivá in 2002.

I admit that this fact has interested me tremendously: according to the Vatican, Mr. Nevado Rey in the beginning of the 90s suffered from " advanced cronichal dermatitis ", an illness with " no known cure " that is always " chronic and progressive, heading towards malignancy, never towards recovery ".
After having received a prayer card of blessed Josemaría Escrivá de Balaguer, Dr. Rey´s illness " began to improve and after approximately a fortnight, the damage caused by the disease disappeared and my [his] hands became perfectly healed "
The complete review of the whole process can be found here.
Here is the link of the Vatican site on the argument:
Click here!
In case you do not have Internet access available, I can send you both of the pages.
Other information are available on the internet on the subject, even if I could not find all the photos about Mr. Nevado´s hands or other evidence about what happened.

Regarding all this, I would like to hear your opinion about if advanced chronic dermatitis really is an illness with no known cure.

What is stated in the site http://www.vatican.va and in the site http://www.josemariaescriva.info is enough evidence to state if what happened to Dr. Nevado has to be considered as a miracle or not or further elements are needed ?

Moreover, I have read in some publications that cancer can, in some very rare case, get cured spontaneously (i.e. without surgery or pharmacological intervention – I think this is called “ spontaneous recovery “); can this be the case of Dr. Nevado?

In the Vatican site is stated that “ to date, no case of a spontaneous cure from cancerous chronic radiodermatitis has ever been recorded in medical literature “, is this true?

At last ( I hope I did not abuse of your patience ), where is possible to find more documentation and clinical evidence of any case of spontaneous recovery from cancer reported in the medical literature ?

I deeply thank you if you can provide me with some help about this subject and, again, I hope I am not abusing of your time.

I would welcome any suggestion or opinion from you about the subject as well.

Many regards,

Matteo Martini
Viale Ungheria, 58
37053 CEREA VR
ITALY
matteomartini72@msn.com
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:55 pm

My apologies for the delay in your getting a response to your question. There has been a backlog of questions here at The lounge. We are endeavoring to respond to all questions, including old ones. As more of us are responding to questions, we hope to be able to respond to new questions in a timely manner. I hope that you will visit The Lounge again and that you next experience here will be better than your last.

I would suggest that you speak with a Dermatologist or a cancer specialist whom specializes in the skin.

regarding your question about spontaneous cures of cancer, that is something that doesnot tend to ccur in the vast majority of patients. However, there have been reports ofver the years of such occuring. Many cancer doctors have had a patient now and then with a cancer that has appeared to disappear with treatment. For most of those patients, the cancer really is not gone, but only with a residual microscopic area that cannot be seen, only later to grow and to reappear. However, sometimes a recurrence does not occur. Perhaps there is something with the body's immune mechanisms that kicks into gear. There is a lot about this topic that is not understood.

Jeffrey A. Gordon, M.D.

|