Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Small Moveable Lump on Side of Neck

JohnMG - Tue May 01, 2007 12:36 pm

Hello, I'm a 19 year old male living in the US. I have been having throbbing tightness/soreness in my shoulder and neck and sometimes wraps around to my throat for about three days. This is only on the right side. I figured it was just a pulled muscle or something from lifting weights or sleeping in a strange position, but when I felt around my neck and shoulder trying to find a knot, I found a small movable lump on the right side of my throat about an inch above my collar bone.

I'm in good shape and have no history of cancer, although there was a mass found in my right tibia via x-ray a couple months ago that was diagnosed by an orthopedic surgeon as nothing more than a bone island.

I am guessing this is just a swollen lymph node and has nothing to do with the soreness, but I just want to run it by others before making a big deal of it or going to see my GM. I have no other symptoms. My appetite is fine, my weight hasn't changed, and I feel no fatigue, nausea, dizziness, or pain in other areas.

I suppose I should also note that I have always had a fear of cancer and have suspected cysts and swollen lymph nodes as tumors on several other occasions. I apologize if this seems like a waste of anyone's time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 31, 2007 5:00 am

User avatar The area you are describing is packed full of lymph nodes. It is very likely that the lump you are feeling is a slightly enlarged lymph node. This may be due to a recent infection, or possibly that the lymph node had been swollen with a past infection and never quite shrank back down to undetectable size. Lymph nodes like this are termed shotty lymph nodes due to their resemblance of buckshot or BB's.

If it is swollen from an infection it may actually be a little tender and could be contributing to your neck pain some, although your pain sounds a bit more extensive than would likely be caused by a single swollen lymph node.

Occasionally lymph nodes can become infected with a bacteria as well. These nodes tend to become fairly large and painful and often require antibiotics to resolve.

|