Forum Name: Endometrial Cancer

Question: very thick endrometrial lining

Wings - Sat May 05, 2007 11:51 am

I have had heavy bleading episodes for the last three months. happened one other time about 6 months after the delivery of my 4th child. that was 2 years ago. Since then, my period has been spiratic. Untill the last three cycles. Three months ago, my bleeding lasted 15 days, most of which was heavy bleading. (changing a pad every hour) that promted me to go to the doc. he perscribed bc pills and to double up on them untill the bleeding stopped. then went back for a Pap smear and pelvic exam. he felt that the uterus was inlarged and ordered an ultrasound. by the time the ultrasound could be scheduled, I was 5 days into my heavy bleed and had to have an intervaginal us. Passing very large clots I could feel at the time. Also at one point, my resting heart rate was 22 bpm.

The us showed that my endometrial lining was at 4cm. Doc sent me to a gyno and she has performed a D & C. I will get the results back on thursday may 10th. my question is, In all my research, I have found that the general thought is that 9 to 15 mm is concidered very thick... yet mine is 4 cm. I am over weight... should I have more cause for concern about uterin or enderometrial cancer because of the thickness of my lining? (It took 9 years to get pregnant with my last baby, I am now 41 years old.) what are my chances of having to have a full hystorectomy with that kind of a mesurement and what kind of questions should I have ready for my doc?

I am a little nervous, but not ready to give into unsolidified concerns.

Wings
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 05, 2007 1:36 pm

User avatar Unfortunately, I'm not able to answer most of your questions. Regarding the question of endometrial cancer, when the gynecologist did the d&c, the lining was likely sent for analysis to the pathology lab. There it will be examined very carefully for any signs of cancer.

This should give you a reliable answer to the cancer issue.

Follow up with your gynecologist is important. Your gyn doc should be able to answer you other questions for you. Also, some of my colleagues on this forum may have further answers for you.

|