Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Armpit Swelling/Lump

mentaldave - Sun May 06, 2007 8:05 am

M,32, No history.

I have had a swollen left armpit on and off since January of this year.

I have pretty much ignored it until recently when it flared up again after I had had a few too drink(alcohol).

I thought once the swelling subsidded I would check for any lumps. I have noticed the following:

A 'lump' from the top of my pit to the lower part of the pit at which point it seems to dissapear under the swelling area.

It is 1/2cm wide and goes on for about 3.

I am booked in for Ultrasound and blood tests but would be grateful for any advice in the meantime!

Thanks,

David
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:44 am

User avatar There are many lymph nodes in the armpit area (axilla). It is most likely that you have some swollen lymph nodes due to a viral or other infection.

It is good that you are having them evaluated. The axilla is one of the more common places for cancers to spread to so an evaluation is appropriate. This is not to say that you have cancer, only that there is a small possibility of this.

If the ultrasound is inconclusive you may need a biopsy of the lump to make sure of what is going on.

|