News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Armpit Swelling/Lump

mentaldave - Sun May 06, 2007 8:05 am

Hi,

M,32, No history.

I have had a swollen left armpit on and off since January of this year.

I have pretty much ignored it until recently when it flared up again after I had had a few too drink(alcohol).

I thought once the swelling subsidded I would check for any lumps. I have noticed the following:

A 'lump' from the top of my pit to the lower part of the pit at which point it seems to dissapear under the swelling area.

It is 1/2cm wide and goes on for about 3.

I am booked in for Ultrasound and blood tests but would be grateful for any advice in the meantime!

Thanks,

David
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:44 am

User avatar There are many lymph nodes in the armpit area (axilla). It is most likely that you have some swollen lymph nodes due to a viral or other infection.

It is good that you are having them evaluated. The axilla is one of the more common places for cancers to spread to so an evaluation is appropriate. This is not to say that you have cancer, only that there is a small possibility of this.

If the ultrasound is inconclusive you may need a biopsy of the lump to make sure of what is going on.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here