News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: MAMO AND ULTRASOUND

chica69 - Fri May 11, 2007 5:56 pm

Hi all

I went to the hospital yesterday for my Mamogram. They took 2 x-rays of my left breast and 3 of my right.

When they were doing this , 2 doctors were looking at the screen and pointing to things, I could not see the screen....also they were speaking in Spanish and my Spanish is not good enough to figer out what they were saying.

I was asked to wait outside and a doctor would call for me.

All the other people who were getting mamograms before me were also asked to wait outside. But when their name was called....they were told they could go home and the results would be sent to the docs in 2wks.

However, when they called my name I was asked to go into see a doctor who did an ultrasound....I could see clear black patches on the screen ( some round , some not so round, some a bit fuzzy looking ) from both breasts and she was taking measurments of these , I prosume they were logged in the computer as she did not print anything out.

She look about 7 measurements 4 from 1 breast and 3 from another.

then she told me in Spanish she was finished and I could go.

When I asked was everything OK, she said that the results will be back within 2wk....I think they will send them to my doctor.

They never took any biopsies. From what I understand the ultrasound can tell if its a sold lump or a waterey Cyst..

am panacking like mad now.

Does anyone have any clues????
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun May 13, 2007 6:03 am

User avatar Hi chica69,
Please don't panic prior to actually knowing what's going on. The reasoning for following a mammogram with an ultrasound is if identification of an area can't be determined on mammogram due to a variety of reasons, ie., tissue density of the breast, an ultrasound is completed for further evaluation. Even if something abnormal is noted on either a mammogram or ultrasound, the next step is an evaluation by a surgeon, then a biopsy. Don't panic before having all of the details. I hope that if your time permits you will consider posting an update when available. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 chica69 - Mon May 14, 2007 2:45 pm

MANY THNAKS FOR YOUR PEPLY

I KNOW THAT I SHOULD NOT PANIC.

I just thought that if they was anything suspect that they would have done a biopsy there and then....but I found out that that is not always the case.

My results should be with my doctor in just over 1 wk....

I will keep u posted.

Once again

many thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu May 17, 2007 12:27 pm

User avatar Hi chica69,
Even the times that something concerning is found a biopsy is scheduled for a later date. Hopefully your worry will be unfounded. I will watch for your update. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here