Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Swollen lymph node

Cantante - Sat May 12, 2007 9:27 am

I had surgery to remove a fibroadenoma about a month and a half ago and after the surgery I noticed a lymph node under my arm (same side as excision) and I asked the surgeon at post op and he said that he wasn't concerned. I did have a lot of bruising and swelling and the surgeon said that he had to cut deeper into the breast tissue to find the fibroadenoma than he had expected. My question is, when do I need to be concerned about this lymph node? It is freely movable, not stony hard, and about the size of a kidney bean. I keep reading that they can remain enlarged but shouldn't be larger than 1cm. Is that measure across or length wise since mine is loner than wider?

Thank you,

Cantante
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun May 13, 2007 5:50 am

User avatar Hi Cantante,
The lymph node enlargement may be directly related to the surgery. I would suggest that you continue your breast exams and if any changes are identified have an additional evaluation completed.

|