Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Inquiring about cancer

Don Paulo - Tue May 15, 2007 9:02 am

Hello Doc I am Don Paulo from Philippines I am 22 years old i would like to ask about the text message about in cancer that i receive in my cellphone my friend texted me. This is the statement of my friend about in cancer that i receive.

Rhian: Instant noodles contain wax coating w/c is also used in styrofoam containers. This is why instant noodles don't stick to each other when cooking. Our body needs up to 2 days to wash away the wax. Make sure you stop eating a pack for at least 3 days after a session of noodles. Moreover, this wax can cause CANCER.

This message that i receive. Doc is this true that the wax in instant noodles can cause a cancer?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 26, 2007 1:31 am

User avatar I'm not familiar with the instant noodles containing wax. They may contain a substance to help them not stick to each other.

It is very difficult to determine if foods such as this increase the risk of cancer. This reminds me of a study done some time ago that showed that hot dogs cause leukemia. The study was done by asking 100 families that have children without cancer and 100 families with children that do have cancer how often their children ate hot dogs. Subsequently the statistics showed that the children with leukemia ate hot dogs more often.

The study was actually designed to show that there is a recall bias in these studies. The cancer families mistakenly begin to think the hot dogs may cause cancer so they remember all the times the children ate hot dogs. The non-cancer families did not make this connection and were less thorough in their remembering of how often the children had hot dogs.

To summarize a long answer, I am generally not convinced by statements like this until there is solid evidence to support such a claim.

None-the-less, eating healthy is important to helping prevent cancer.

|