Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Neck,arm & Breast Lumps

jfar - Wed May 16, 2007 3:23 am

I am female 30 years old and for over a year now I have had a lump in my neck, under arm and breast.
My History:
* I have had a full fusion on my right wrist due to a work accident.
* I have a lump on the right side of my next for at least 18 months which was dismissed as a lymphnode that is enlarged from an infection.
* I have a lump in my right breast (ATLEAST 18 MONTHS) which I had an ultrasound on once and it was inconclusive. (when my doctor sent me back they said there was no need to rescan!!)
* I have an enlarged lymph under my right arm.
My Question:
I have been having some serious pain in my right arm for quite sometime and wanted to know if all of these issues could be related and if you have any possible reasons for these problems or advice for me?

Thanks in Advance
JFAR
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:23 pm

It would be more helpful if you provide us more information about the characters of these swellings like the size, consistency, their course (stable or increasing in size), any associated symptoms or signs like pain, redness etc.

The swellings in the neck and under your arm (in the axilla) are more likely to be enlarged lymph nodes.
They might be enlarged as a reactionary process to infection in the area drained by this lymph node group.

Of significance, an increase in nodal size on serial examinations. Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are important and those that regress in size after infection control tend to be more reassuring.
Regarding the breast mass, it could be a form of benign swelling like in cases of fibroadenosis which is also associated with axillary lymph node enlargement.

I advise you to follow with your doctor and to repeat mammography examination and sonography for confirmation of the nature of this swelling if necessary.

|