Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: is it cancer?

abrcmbe54 - Wed May 16, 2007 11:09 pm

I am a 21 female that would open knee surgery a year ago, a couple months ago I noticed a swollen node under my jaw on my right side since then I was put on keflex with no change but it getting worse the one on my right side it now about the size of a quater and very hard (it feels like a rock and doesnt move) with many swollen nodes around it. I also have a some more swollen nodes on my left side I would say maybe four ranging from my ear to my collarbone. I am always tired I have been getting b-12 shots hoping that would improve but it didnt and my back and neck is always sore i don't know if that is causing me to be tired. I don't know if this has anything to do this what is wrong with me but i don't get out of breathe but i feel like i don't have enough air sometime and will have to take deep breathes almost like a yawn or my chest will start to hurt. I hope someone can help me please I am young and cant stand this!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 17, 2007 1:10 pm

User avatar I would recommend that you see your doctor for an evaluation.

Your description of the lymph node is a little concerning since reactive (infectious) lymph nodes generally are more rubbery feeling and usually easily moved. The classic description of a cancerous node is a hard, painless, immobile lymph node.

This, by no means, is a definite diagnosis of cancer. There are other possibilities as well, including a few infectious causes such as mycoplasma pneumonia and mononucleosis. By simple odds, cancer is less likely than one of these things.

Your doctor will be able to order the correct tests for evaluation.

abrcmbe54 - Thu May 17, 2007 1:43 pm

I am not feeling sick at all besides feeling really tired, and the large lump on the right is shaped like a oval and is so big it wraps around my jaw bone. If it was from a sickness like mono would i feel worse?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 18, 2007 7:32 pm

User avatar Mono does not always give a sick feeling. Often, it presents only with lymph node swelling and fatigue.

|