News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: is it cancer?

abrcmbe54 - Wed May 16, 2007 11:09 pm

I am a 21 female that would open knee surgery a year ago, a couple months ago I noticed a swollen node under my jaw on my right side since then I was put on keflex with no change but it getting worse the one on my right side it now about the size of a quater and very hard (it feels like a rock and doesnt move) with many swollen nodes around it. I also have a some more swollen nodes on my left side I would say maybe four ranging from my ear to my collarbone. I am always tired I have been getting b-12 shots hoping that would improve but it didnt and my back and neck is always sore i don't know if that is causing me to be tired. I don't know if this has anything to do this what is wrong with me but i don't get out of breathe but i feel like i don't have enough air sometime and will have to take deep breathes almost like a yawn or my chest will start to hurt. I hope someone can help me please I am young and cant stand this!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 17, 2007 1:10 pm

User avatar I would recommend that you see your doctor for an evaluation.

Your description of the lymph node is a little concerning since reactive (infectious) lymph nodes generally are more rubbery feeling and usually easily moved. The classic description of a cancerous node is a hard, painless, immobile lymph node.

This, by no means, is a definite diagnosis of cancer. There are other possibilities as well, including a few infectious causes such as mycoplasma pneumonia and mononucleosis. By simple odds, cancer is less likely than one of these things.

Your doctor will be able to order the correct tests for evaluation.

Best wishes.
 abrcmbe54 - Thu May 17, 2007 1:43 pm

I am not feeling sick at all besides feeling really tired, and the large lump on the right is shaped like a oval and is so big it wraps around my jaw bone. If it was from a sickness like mono would i feel worse?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 18, 2007 7:32 pm

User avatar Mono does not always give a sick feeling. Often, it presents only with lymph node swelling and fatigue.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here