Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: swollen armpit for months

misty222 - Fri May 18, 2007 5:25 am

I have had a swollen left armpit for several months and it is also very tender to touch. I have noticed over the last couple of days that my left breast is tender if i press it firmly on the side but it does not feel lumpy. It is actually obvious now so that if I look in the mirror with or without my bra on there is a bulge that is visible. I can also see it if I hold my arm up. What are the possible causes? I have heard that it could by Hodgkins lymphoma.
I have not yet been to a doctor. I am a 20 year old female and there is no family history. I am taking oral contraceptives
 lmbd - Sat May 19, 2007 3:15 pm

I am pretty sure that If you had lymphoma you be able to feel swollen lymph nodes somewhere. I have had one under my arm get infected one time and it hurt also but you could feel the knot. I would chech with my doctor if you are worried but it may be your contreceptive. I had to be placed on a low hormone birth control because it made my breast ache all the time. I would think that at 20 your chances of breast cancer would be low but I am currently terrified of lymphoma and I can tell you that your chance of getting it is 0.4% yes thats right 0.4%. Do you have any other symptoms, Night sweats, fatigue, weight loss. Try not to stress. I would think there is a reasonable explanation for this. Try getting off the birth control for a while. it just took about 3-4 weeks for mine to improve after changing. But mine was both breast so just to be safe, ask your doctor.

|