Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Should be worried about lymphoma?

lmbd - Fri May 18, 2007 4:11 pm

I am a 23 yr. old healthy female. I should start out by saying that I have ocd. I have always been really afraid of cancer since an acquaintance died of lymphoma when she was around 30. About four months ago I had a cold and lost my voice. Right after that I noticed a slightly enlarged lymph node. It is around 1-1.25 cm in size and Seems to sometimes go down to a little smaller. I went to the doctor and they said it was mildly inflammed. Since then two different nurses have felt of it and said that it was nothing to be worried about. It is soft and very mobile. It is not always tender but has been some when My allergies were bothering me. Should this be something that I worry about? By the way, they said that touching them could keep them inflammed. I have poked mine to death since I found it cause I am so paranoid. I have no other symptoms. No fatigue at all, no night sweats. I feel perfectly fine. Please help me! SO far no medical person is concerned And I just want to make sure. I am almost positive that it is not growing. Just wanted and oppinion. thanks
 lmbd - Sat May 19, 2007 2:26 pm

I just thought that I would add that when I went to the doctor they poked around for awhile and said that none of my othe lymph nodes seemed enlarged and 4 months later that is still true. Also, now I am worried that it is not what they mean when they say soft. I can squish it around to the point that I really wouldn't Know what shape to say it is. It is definitely not hard(100% sure) but it is definite enough to feel. Like I said earlier it is extremely mobile. Also, it is not visible through the skin and probobly never would have found it if I didn't stress so much over cancer. The measurement is mine so it is no exact but the doctor said mildly inflammed, so I am sure it is not huge. What I want to know is would it have grown enough that I would know for sure that it is growing over a 4 month period and would I expierienced some type of symptom by now. Please, someone respond. Thanks
 lmbd - Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:17 pm

I really would like an answere! I don't think that there is anything to add to my previous posts except since then I have realized that I can really push it aroung and if I get it back far enough on my neck I can feel that it is the size of the end of my pointer finger. It is oval in shape and has a smooth surface. Also, it still feels the same as it did 7 months ago when I found it. I still have no other symptoms, no fatique(I work out 50-60 min. a day 5 days a week plus keep up with a three yr.old and a 1 yr. old), I am tired at night when I go to bed usually around 11:00 but not severly and I have no trouble going during the day. I have never had a night sweat, no fever or itching. I am never sick and have only taken antibiotics about 3 times since I was 17. I did have alot of tonsil problems as a young child but have not had in years. Please help me as I think that I may loose my mind. Would my node have enlarged some by this point if it was cancer, would I have other symptoms by now? Please someone respond and try to help me. I had it checked in march, May, and asked my kids ped. in july. the first two felt of it on said only mildly inflammed and the other just said it was nothing to be concerned about. The ped. based on size and consistancy was not alarmed. NO one has wanted further testing. Do you think I need to have a biopsy even it is not growing. I do not have medical insurance so I hate to do something that is not nesa sary. Thanks
 debmatt - Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:49 am

Imbd,

You sound so much like me! Okay, I now know per an oncologist/surgeon that some people are able to feel their nodes more than others. I run every morning 50-60 minutes and I am thin so I am assuming you are thin also since you work out so much. We are able to feel nodes more than others who may be heavier. Also, the node would be growing if it was cancerous.You would also progress in the disease with symptoms. Fatigue is usually one of the 1st ones to realize. Night sweats are another - not just being hot at night either but drenching sweats where you have to change your bed clothes.
Don't manipulate the node like it sounds you are doing. This will irritate it and actually make it bigger. Touch it lightly like the docs do. You are fine and I am too. If you start to get symptoms and/or your node grows then be worried. 7 months without any other problems, you are fine!

|