News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Painful Bump Back of Skull

adriennesmom - Mon May 21, 2007 12:45 am

Hello, I am a 30 yr. old female, no known health problems so far. For the last few days I have had a bump on the back of my head. It is very hard, not moveable, peasize, it is about 2 inches from the bottom of my skull on the left size. The area is sore. Just below the skull is another one right below the first one on my neck, I assumed it was an insect bite or something, but it isn't going away, no redness. I am a little worried about it, but have no health insurance and do not want to go rushing into the dr. for nothing. Any advice would be very nice. Health history if relevant: high cholesterol, migraines. Family history of most all illnesses (diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc.)
 Marceline F, RN - Thu May 24, 2007 4:07 am

User avatar Dear Adriennesmom,
Are you having any headaches with these bumps or are they only locally tender? An insect bite would not necessarily become reddened, and could stay swollen for several days. If you suspect an insect bite, you may wish to check with your MD if taking Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) may help. An insect bite that swells is actually a tyoe of an allergic reaction to the toxin of the insect. Diphenhydramine and even OTC Ranitidine (Zantac) may help. The former is an antihistamine commonly used for stuffy noses and as a sleep aid in meds such as Tylenol PM. The latter is a H-2 bloccker - a different type of histamine blocker. You may also try applying an ice pack to the area for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off for a couple hours and see if it helps decrease the localized inflammation. If there is headache or changes in vision or sensation anywhere else, it would be wise to be evaluated at the local ER, or urgent care clinic. As always, if the bumps change adversely in shape, size or pain, please be seen as soon as possible by a medical professional..

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here