Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Lump under ear / behind jaw

nslick - Mon May 21, 2007 8:47 pm

I'm a 26 year old male and in good health.

About two months ago I noticed a small lump under my ear and slightly behind my jaw. It had grown over the month to become somewhat large. I saw a Dr. on the matter and he said it was probably a lymph node and a round of antibiotics would help. I took them but nothing really went down. He said to give it about 6 weeks, which has come and gone now (this being week 7). It is probably the same size or at least slightly smaller. It isn't fixed in place and I can move it back and forth slightly. There is a good deal of pain after touching it, but otherwise it gives me no trouble except for a random pain here and there.

Any help is appreciated! Should I get a second opinion??
 debmatt - Tue May 22, 2007 1:35 pm

If it has gotten smaller, not bigger that is a good sign. If you are touching the node and poking at it often this will keep it from getting smaller also. From what I have read (and it is a lot) your lymph nodes are very sensitive and you can aggrevate them. I have had some where I have rubbed them 50 times a day to see what their size was and then when I left them alone they shrunk. Hope this helps!

Deb
 nslick - Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:15 pm

Just an update on what I posted about awhile back.

The lymph node in question never went back down in size, and is still seemingly fluctuating slightly from larger to smaller on occasion. I have also developed a stiffness of sorts in my jaw, my vision is slightly blurred even after corrective eyewear, and I find myself having trouble focusing. My ears also have the feeling you experience when they need to pop, yet I am unable to get them to do so for two months now.

I saw a doctor last summer and bloodwork was done that came back completely normal. A scan was done that showed I have multiple enlarged nodes, none of which are apparently even close to a size that would call for concern or the need to biopsy.

Still experiencing the random pains, though they are not that often. I do seem to experience very random and brief pains all over my neck on occasion.

Should I worry that it still hasn't gone down, or is the fact that after 2 years it is still relatively the same size something that is in my favor. I am a worrier, so I tend to of course worry.

Any help is appreciated.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:34 am

From the description of the swelling that you have provided, i am really unable to visualize the exact site.
However, as a surgeon i would tend to stick to the dictum "a lump in the paotid space (the anatomical location of the parotid glands) should be considered a parotid lump unless proven otherwise".
Please consult a surgeon if you have not done so already.

|