News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Chemotherapy

Question: Does CellCept cross the blood brain barrier?

Godsgal - Wed May 30, 2007 8:50 pm

I have Neuromyelitis Optica / Devics Disease and I am taking CellCept currently. This is following 6 treatments of Cytoxin last year. Does CellCept cross the blood brain barrier, or just act upon the activated immune cells peripherally? I guess this applies to Imuran / Azathioprine too.

Do you have any resources for this information?

Thank you so much!

Godsgal
 Godsgal - Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:03 pm

I guess nobody knows the answer. Would be good to know if used for diseases involving the CNS - don't you think? I do know that it was created for organ transplant rejection and designed to work peripherally.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:35 am

Does CellCept cross the blood brain barrier, or just act upon the activated immune cells peripherally?

CellCept doesn't cross blood brain barrier.

CellCept is an immunosuppressant. It inhibits lymphocyte (B and T) proliferation and antibody production. This results the suppression of immune system and reduces the production of antibodies attacking the receptor sites in the nervous system.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here