Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen lymph nodes in my right groin area

Siesta789 - Thu May 31, 2007 9:27 pm

Hi there,

I am a 29 year old female.

I am concerned about swollen lymph nodes in my right groin area, between pelvis and right thigh.

I have had some symptoms over the last 4-6 weeks:

Bowel movement changes: urgent need to have a bowel movement, cramping, water stools
Mild tender abdominal twinges

This lasted for about 4 weeks. Has eased up now.

Went to my doctor as had a pressure type feel in pelvic area (exactly where lymph nodes are swollen now). Not painful, just pressure and slight burning feeling. Just concerned. She had me lay down and she felt my belly. It was rather tender on the right side of my belly when she pushed in it, and also in the middle, not much on the left side.

She considered Irritable Bowel Syndrome and said to watch it for the next few weeks to see if it keeps up. Tender belly could be due to IBS or possibly a viral infection. (I had a urine test to test for UTI, came back normal. Also had basic blood profile done & everything fine.

Had a few other symptoms: no appetite, tired, feeling of "burning" in belly, hip, down thigh. Not painful, just there.

Bowel movements seemed to get better, still come on occasionally, but overall better.

For about 1 week now I've had a burning type sensation in my tailbone area. Again, not painful but just present. Tingling in my arms & legs.

Now, I'm freaking out because I found what I think is a swollen lymph node in my groin. (In exactly the area I felt pressure, burnng feeling before) It is long and hard, a LITTLE tender but not too much. Maybe because I keep pushing on itt. It's firm and long. (When I say long, it seems like a few bunch together in a thin line).

I'm freaking out thinking it's something cancerous. I know that lymph nodes tend to swell if you're fighting an infection, but why am I getting one in my groin?

Is this normal?

Please tell me your opinion asap. Thanks so much.
Sally
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:54 am

The swellings you have described in the right groin region are probably lymph nodes as they occur in a lymph node region.

The inguinal lymph nodes are situated in the crease between the leg and pelvis (more on the outside of that crease, i.e., laterally) almost as you described.

Since your doctor has examined you, I assume they are just shotty nodes due to previous or recent infection in the area drained by this group of lymph nodes.

The inguinal lymph nodes drain the foot, leg, thigh, vulva, vagina, perineum, gluteal region, lower abdominal wall, and lower anal canal.

Common causes of enlargement include infections of the leg or foot, genital infections including STDs and cancer. In any of them the lymph node enlargement can occur on one side.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter; however, some authors suggest that inguinal nodes larger than 1.5 cm should be considered abnormal.

If it is painful or tender this indicate infection or inflammation which will subside after recovery.

Regarding the GI symptoms, I agree with your doctor it could be due to GI infection (mostly viral).

Other possible causes to be considered include:
- IBS if the symptoms are recurrent and stress related.
- Ovarian and other gynecological causes
- Appendicitis especially if there is fever and increase in the white blood cells seen by Blood tests (which your doctor excluded)
- Urinary tract infection (which was excluded too).

During the period of GI disturbance, the intake of plenty of fluids, and light meals will help.

Follow up with your doctor and serial examination of the lymph nodes are essential .
Hope you find this information useful.

|