Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Inhomogeneous Thymus Gland - Questions...

Jen32 - Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:47 am

Hello.

I am a healthy 32 yo female. I am a stay home mother to 3 young children.

For the past few months, I was suffering from bad flushing spells. They were in my face, neck and chest, and most days lasted for hours. I was seen by my GP a few times for this, and she checked my hormones and finally did a CT scan of my chest/abdomen area.

Fortunately nothing was found in regards to carcinoid (checking for that because of the flushing), but I was found to have an inhomogeneous thymus gland. A spot the size of 1.6 cm.

I was then sent to a pulmonologist, who told me that a biopsy wasn't really possible, but a surgery to remove it was. However, he did not seem concerned, and advised that we wait another 2 months to have a follow up CT scan to see what was happening then. We agreed to this.

Before this time, I had no symptoms or worries except for the flushing. But for the past two weeks, I've had a bad sore throat. Could this be something related to the thymus problem, or just something coincidental? Is this something to talk to my pulmonologist about?

Also, are there any other suggestions, or information I can get in regards to the inhomogeneous thymus gland? Is waiting two months for a follow-up CT scan the right thing to do? Are there any other options that I'm not aware of?

Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:36 pm

User avatar Hello there,

The thymus is responsible for the development of the immune system early in life. Normally it later atrophies and loses function between birth and puberty.

Thymus enlargement may result from thymic hyperplasia or due to accumulation of deposits in certain metabolic and endocrine diseases. Lymphoma and thymoma are two cancers that are known to develop in the thymus.

Certain radiological characteristics would enable your doctor to tell if your condition is less likely to be due to something serious. If still in doubt you can always get a second opinion.

|