News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Renal Cell Cancer

Question: Question about follow-up care.

Dig62 - Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:00 pm

Hello and thank you in advance.

I'm a 44 year-old male diagnosed with stage II renal cell carcinoma in 2000 (at age 37).

My physician stopped providing follow-up care for this in 2005, stating that I had made it to the five year mark and the cancer is guaranteed not to come back. It has now been two years since I have had follow-up testing of any kind and this does not feel quite right to me.

Further, I have never had a follow-up CT scan since my nephrectomy. Only chest x-rays and bloodwork until 2005. This is disconcerting to me since the original tumor did not show up on my bloodwork at all... only on CT scan and by accident. So how can bloodwork and chest x-ray alone be a reliable indicator?

I would be grateful for any advice on proper follow-up care for renal cell carcinoma.

Sincerely,

Dig62
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:25 pm

User avatar Follow up plans for long term survivors of cancer may vary from oncologist to oncologist. I am not knowledgeable enough in this area to know the direct answer to your question.

You may want to call another oncologist to ask their typical practice. Additionally, some of my colleagues on this site may know more specific information for you about this.

Best wishes, and congratulations on making it to the five year mark.l

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here