Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: 6 month swollen lymph node

wesman200098 - Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:30 am

I am 25 male, and I have a swollen Lymph node on the lower right side of my neck, about 4 inches below my ear. This Lymph node has been swollen for about 6 months, and it is currently about the width of my pinky finger. It hasn't seem to have grown any size; however, it is more palpable in the mornings when I first wake up.

In mid December, I was diagnosed with tonsillitis, and this is when I noticed my swollen Lymph node. My doctor gave me a 10 day course of penicillin. I completed it, and it cured my infection. My Lymph node did shrink after I finished my Antibiotic, but it never did completely return back to normal size where I couldn't feel it. It is very mobile, small, and painless. I do touch it often because I am concerned about it. Should I be concerned over this? Should the Lymph node ever return back to normal and within what normal time frame? I do not have any other symptoms like fever or weightloss. Thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:37 pm

User avatar I would not be concerned about this. It is fairly common for lymph nodes to become swollen during an infection then not shrink fully down to their original size. This leaves a small, nontender, movable lymph node that is often referred to as a shotty lymph node (I.e. resembling buckshot).

As long as the lymph node isn't changing there is likely nothing to worry about.

lmbd - Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:32 pm

I am a 23 year old female that has had an enlarged lymph node for about 5 months. I found it right after a cold but am not sure that this is what caused it. It could have been there for a long time as I am not one to feel around on my neck until recently. Your post helped me alot. Mine is in the same place and seems to be the same size. I did have it checked and they were not concerned and now after reading your post and the answere you recieved I think that I can finally quit worrying. Just in case someone else reads this I want to add that at first I thought mine was larger than his as mine is the size of the end of my pointer finger, but then I realized that I am a small framed, petite woman while he is a man. I held my finger up to a mans pinky and my finger was actually smaller than his pinky. Thanks for the help.

lmbd
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:14 am

User avatar I'm glad you've found our site helpful. Lymph nodes such as this are quite common and very much a cause of concern for many people. If a person is ever concerned about a lymph node it is always best to have it checked out.

wesman200098 - Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:17 pm

Thank you Dr. Lowe for the information. When I saw the doctor a couple of weeks ago for a sinus check-up, I asked him about the 6 month swollen lymph node on my neck. He said that it felt like a pea, like I had previously described, and he decided to investigate it further to make sure that it wasn't anything else. He did some blood tests and took a chest x-ray. My blood work came back normal, and so did my chest x-ray. He told me that there is nothing to worry about now, unless it gets bigger. Should I ever consider getting this node removed? He didn't think so as he thought that it would never cause me another problem, and since it was so small. Will it hurt anything if I just leave it alone?

Thank you so much in advance for your help. I really appreciate everything you all do.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:24 am

User avatar Your node is likely to be what is sometimes called a "shotty" node. Sometime when lymph nodes enlarge normally due to an infection they don't quite shrink back down to their previous size. Instead, they remain about a centimeter or so in size. We call them shotty nodes because they feel a little like buckshot.

These nodes are harmless and still functioning normally. If, however, it begins to enlarge or change it may be necessary to have it reevaluated. As long as it is the same there is really likely nothing to worry about.

DarkShaho - Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:46 am

hi Dr.
im 23 ,i have a small,lymph node on my neck under my ear, i don't feel it at all, unless i put my finger on it, its been there for around 2 mounth, i went to several doctors and surgents, they told me nothing to worry about well, today, its smaller than before, but still there though, and like before, no pain at all, no change in color and in texture, and not increasing, it appears like a small bump,when i turn my head to the max degree tothe left side :d. but its taking too much time to go. i did CBC test and microscopy test and urine test, every thing is normal, just that. and the above givens thanks a lot.

thx again hope to reply soon
 zfor3 - Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:12 pm

I am a 26 year old male, who plays professional basketball in Europe. I live a healthy and actice lifestyle..... my question is this. About 1.5 years ago I had a pimple on the back of my neck, right in the center of the neck and head. The bump is small, not too hard and not too soft. It doesn't hurt at all and hasn't grown at all during the course of time. Any ideas what it is?
 mcocola - Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:04 am

Hi Dr.
I am a 34 yr old female - i noticed a swollen lymph node in my right upper breast/armpit area last year (I was 20 weeks pregnant at the time) my ob/gyn sent me for a breast ultrasound and I was told that it was a lymph node. My ob/gyn then stated to keep an eye on it - it doesnt hurt but it has gotten a little larger (about 1/2") and it is hard. I know have another lymph node that is swollen about an inch below it and another one on the left side in the same general area. The two later ones are not as large and are not painful either. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have a history of lymphoma in my family (non-hodkins).....I have not been sick and I am not breastfeeding......

|