News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: one enlarged lymph node

lmbd - Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:50 pm

I am a 23 yr. old female who has always been healthy. I have no family history of cancer, as a matter of fact most of my family lives well into their 80's. I have had one slightly enlarged lymph node for about 6 months. It is on the side of my neck on the right side about 2 inches down. It is about the size or the end of my finger, very soft, extremely mobile. I went and had it checked and they did not seem concerned and also told me that I have no other swollen lymph nodes that they could feel so it is only the one. Later, I had it checked again by a nurse practioner that I know and she also told me it was nothing to worry about. I suffer from ocd and Health anxiety so I tend to panic. It has not changed at all in the six months that I have known that it was there(it could have been there longer as I just recently became obsessed with lymphoma so I never felt before. I have had no other symptoms, no night sweats,no fever, no fatigue, no weight loss, nothing.
Ijust want to know if this is normal to have one lymph node that is larger than the others. By the way the doctor did say that it was only mildly inflammed if that tells you anything. I would really appreciate your help as this is driving me crazy. Thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:39 am

User avatar Hi lmbd,
Lymph nodes are essentially the bodies filtering system. Lymph nodes typically enlarge as a result of an infectious process (viral/bacterial infections). Lymph nodes that enlarge during this process may not return to their preinfectious state. When there are no changes/increases in size on serial examinations, no other constitutional symptoms, i.e., weight loss, fever, night sweats, etc. mild persistent enlarged lymph nodes are considered normal.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here