Forum Name: Esophageal Cancer

Question: Bump on Back of Throat

wesman200098 - Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:11 am

I am 25 male, ideal weight, don't smoke, don't drink, and fairly healthy. Late last week, I discovered a small bump on the back of my throat behind my tonsil. It is the same color as my flesh; however, it is quite small, and it hasn't changed in any size over the past week. I was wondering what this could be, whether it could be caused by allergies, a virus, or something more serious. It is on the flesh of the wall, as it moves with my throat. I have never noticed it before, and I haven't noticed any other symptoms like difficulty with swallowing, hoarseness, etc. There looks like there maybe some other small bumps on the other side of the throat as well, but this one is the only one that is really noticeable. I am just recovering from allergies and a sinus infection, so I just went to the doctor 3 weeks ago. I am headed back to the doctor in 3 weeks for a check-up on my sinuses and allergies (that he wanted to do). I will bring this up to him if it is still there, but in the meantime, I just wanted to know if I should be concerned about this.

I am also headed to the dentist next week for a filling, so I assume that if he doesn't say anything about it, then there really isn't a concern. Just curious, what are your thoughts and advice? Thank you.

One other question as well. As it may seem, I am a kind of a hypochondriac. If anything minors occurs, I think of the worst. What can I do about this? Can a doctor or counseling help? I drive myself nuts sometimes over nothing. You always hear about all these dreadful diseases and illnesses, and then somehow I think of a correlation between my symptoms and an illness that I just heard of, and it drives me nuts because then I think that I have this illness. You always hear that early detection is the key, and so I think that anything minor is a big deal. I go through stages like this when sometimes I don't worry about anything, and then other times I feel as if I am dying. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:04 pm

User avatar Your bump is probably normal. Often, in the back of the throat, there will be some bumps as you are describing that do not cause any problems and are not considered abnormal.

It may also be that the infection you had caused a small bump to appear. If so, it should go away in a few weeks at the most.

Your doctor should be able to evaluate this and give you an answer.

Regarding the hypochondriasis, this is quite common to some extent. If it is interfering with your life, counseling is often quite helpful. Medications can be used in severe forms.

|