Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: knot in neck/inconclusive PET scan

policemanswife - Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:02 pm

36 yo white male had lymph node in left neck swell 8 months ago was treated with antibiotics it went down it returns about every 2 months have seen MD, ENT and surgeon had CTx2 MRI and PET. ENT says there is a thickening at the base of my tongue CT scan showed an enlarged node 2 1/2 cm was told that it could be "holding infection" and may never be normal size again. PET scan shows uptake at base of tongue. Oncologist said nothing screamed cancer but he doesn't know what it could be. Not only is the node a problem when it swells, I also have a knot between Adams apple and the muscle in the left side of neck that gets very painful but if you touch it just slightly it seems to fall back behind the Adams apple and give a little relief I am at a lose on where and what to do next I have high blood pressure as does both parents. Grandfather had prostate cancer Grandmother had breat cancer family history of heart disease I am an ex 2pack a day smoker of 8 years I use smokeless tobacco I take Norvasc, Coreg and Tevitan for the HPB Please help!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:34 pm

I hope you are feeling better.

One question that came to my mind while reading your post: why do you have high blood pressure at such a young age? Was the cause diagnosed?

Regarding your situation. I understand the reasons for your concern especially with the results of the PET scan.

Has your M.D. considered sampling the nodes with a fine needle aspiration?

If that is not an option I am afraid you would have to follow the condition up until the diagnosis becomes more evident.

Please keep us updated.
 policemanswife - Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:12 pm

Thank you for getting back with me. I have had HBP since I was 25. I have a family history of HBP at an early age. I also have a very small cyst found on my kidney about 5 years ago that has been watched with CT scan and has not changed, don't know if that is the cause or not? saw Oncologist today that saw no reason for additional blood work up but was sent to an ENT today had light run down throat again said it looked like inflammation at base of tongue could be causing a shooty node or spent node from childhood to swell. I will be having a more indepth look next week under sedation and they will biopsy the base of my tongue while in there. no one seems to want to biopsy the actual node because of location it is close to my jugular any thing else that I should have checked out? does this sound like the right course? I'm just at a lose right now and worried to death

|