Forum Name: Esophageal Cancer

Question: Lump in throat

JustMe - Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:54 pm

Brief history...I smoke. I smoked for 10 years, quit for 5 and have been smoking again for about 4 years. I am a white female, age 39. I have what feels like a lump in my throat. I went to the doc back in February and discussed the lump as well as cronic heart burn. I underwent an Upper GI which came back clear,(no peptic ulcer, no damage to my esophagus, no hernia) but showed I have reflux. The doc put me on Prevacid and my sympoms cleared up, however....the lump has returned. I started getting a little breakthrough acid, so I started supplementing with Pepcid AC, which I have OK'd with my doctor. I also take Flonaise and sometimes a decongestant or Alavert as I have allergies. I have been under some stress and recently quit my job, as that was the primary cause of my stresses. The family and I took a vacation and the lump went away while we were on vacation, but has since returned. The lump was so bad this morning that I vomited, because I felt I was being gagged.

I found this information on the internet and was wondering if someone could read it and tell me if this could be what it is. I do not have any symptoms of cancer (I used to suffer from some minor hoarseness, but that has since cleared up and I haven't had that problem in several weeks) no unexplaned weight loss, no coughing up blood or anything like that. My mother thinks it is post nasal drip, but I can't be sure. Can you check out this web sight and let me know if this is legit, as it describes my symptoms to a T. The lump disappears when I sleep and when I eat, it comes back after eating and shortly after I wake up in the morning.

http://www.voicedoctor.net/therapy/cps.html

Thanks for any information.
 Marceline F, RN - Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:50 am

User avatar Dear JustMe,
Very well written information. I am always happy to acknowledge skilled and caring medical professionals!
Based on what you posted, it is indeed possible that you may be experiencing cricopharyngeal spasms.
It is also possible that the added stressors you have been having lately has caused this flare up of incidences. ( Of special note in this favor is the fact that while being away on vacation - having fun - and relaxing, you did not have an episode.)
You may wish to explore stress relieving techniques, and if an underlying anxiety plagues you, ask your Doctor if an anxiolytic may be of value. I applaud you for doing your best to work with your primary care physician in managing your reflux!
 jojokdz - Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:00 am

I found this very interesting. I am 56 yrs. old and have suffered with Gerd/ acid reflux for 15 yrs. I can remember back in the "80's sometime complaining of this lump in my throat thing. But as I have gotten older it seems to come on moreso. I had a upper/lower scope done 4 yrs. ago. I have IBS and they suspected Barrett's but after the pathology report came back it was negative to the Barrett's. Now Jan. 9th I am going back for both once again and I am terrifed because of the Barrett;s thing.! I have a lump sensation all the time. My food does occasionally get stuck. It never comes back up but it takes a while sometimes to go down. I was suppose to go for motiltiy testing but never did. I am under extreme stress here. My husband was diagnosed with lung cancer and is not doing good. I have a child with handicapps which keeps me moving all the time. And I work with children with handicapps all day long. I can't help but think of the "C" word when it comes to my symptoms..

JO

|