News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Breast Cancer Distant Recurrence Rates

Marcia - Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:27 pm

I was wondering about long-term distant recurrence rates for stage 1 breast cancer. I am now 60 years old. I was dx'd in 1994 at the age of 47 with stage 1 breast cancer: 1.7 cent. tumor, tumor grade 2, ER/PR positive, diploid, low s-phase. Treatments included lumpectomy, radiation, CMF chemo, Tamoxifen. I am now taking Femara. While thankfully I have had no reoccurrence to date, like many others, I have anxiety every time I experience a new pain (the latest being chronic back pain between my shoulder blades). Any info you could share on distant recurence rates for my stage after 10 years from dx would be most appreciated. Thank you. (Family history: My mother died at 80 from bladder cancer, my father died at 80 from Lymphoma, and my brother died at 32 from cancer of the esophagus. I have a sister who is 53 and in good health and no history of cancer.)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:05 am

User avatar There is significant variation in breast cancer subtypes. Because of this, the exact data is a little difficult to find. Some general information that I was able to find is as follows:

5 year survival rate for your size tumor with no lymph nodes affected is 96%.

10 year survival rate is 65-80% for your size tumor and no lymph nodes.

Recurrence rate at 5 years is about 20% from the data I was reading. The longer you go without a recurrence, the lower the rate (although, unfortunately, it never really reaches zero).

Sorry I'm not able to find more specific information for you. Congratulations on beating the disease this far out!

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here