News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen Lymph Nodes in Neck...

ambie1 - Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:52 pm

I'm a 20 year old female and about a month and a half ago I got pretty sick, as in my tonsils were swollen and my throat was killing me. I went to a clinic and my temperature was 104. they did a rapid strep test, tested for mono and ran a CBC. My white count was elevated to 15. No strep and no mono. gave me antibiotics and sent me home. I got to feeling better about a week later, then I noticed 3 lymph nodes in my neck (posterior chain) were slightly enlarged. Finally went to my family doctor. He wasn't too concerned, found no other swollen lymph nodes in neither armpit nor groin, but noticed that my tonsils were still swollen, however they weren't red and didn't hurt. Gave me some more antibiotics, ran a cultured strep test, and ran another CBC. Strep came back negative and the CBC was a normal 7.4. He said to not worry about or mess with the lymph nodes and they should clear up.

Well, they are still there, I guess I'm a little paranoid and found single slightly enlarged lymph nodes on various places on my neck, more towards the posterior side. They are small, but definitely not normal... I noticed today that in the original swollen chain of 3 nodes, the 2nd lymph node got really circular, definitely bigger but not huge, and it feels kinda hard.. maybe rubbery? .. Also slightly immobile.

What could be happening here? Should I have it biopsied? Could it by Lymphoma or something else? Or is it really nothing to worry about??

Any help or insight would be really appreciated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:03 pm

User avatar Hello,

Many times after the lymph glands have enlarged due to an infection they remain slightly enlarged. These are known as 'shotty' lymph nodes and do not represent any danger.

Constitutional symptoms such as fever, weight loss, fatigue or night sweats could suggest disorders such as tuberculosis, lymphoma, collagen vascular diseases, unrecognized infection or malignancy. The presence of fever is commonly associated with infections.

If your doctor has already examined these lymph nodes and if there aren't any new lymph node enlargement or any new symptoms then you should be safe. If you notice any change from the last time you presented to your doctor you should inform him right away.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here