Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Brown sticky discharge, 2nd opinion

scb - Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:21 pm

Hello, I am a 29-year-old female, with brown nipple discharge. I have discharge from one breast, and only seems to be coming from one duct. I have no family history of breast CA, no pain or itching in the area, and have had a normal prolactin level. The discharge is not spontaneous, and is only visible upon manipulation. I have had these same symptoms for years now, but the discharge seems to have changed from clear/tan to a sticky brown with a slight increase in amount.
I had a mammogram that came back showing some densities, and was sent for a breast u/s. The u/s confirmed that the findings where benign showing- multiple small cysts, and dilated nipple ducts all on the one side.
I work in a multi-specialty medical practice, and had one of the general surgeons look at the reports and mammogram films. He was not concerned and felt that it did not need f/u. Although, I would normally not question his opinion, I spoke with my PCP and he insisted that I be examined to make sure that no other testing was necessary. I will be seeing a surgeon from another practice on Thursday of this week.

My questions are, are there any additional questions/concerns that I should be bringing to the surgeons attention. Based on what I have listed above, do you think that this is something that should be looked into further? and What do you think this all means (dilated nipple ducts, brown sticky discharge etc.) for a diagnosis?

Thank you in advance for any input you may have.
 Marceline F, RN - Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:47 am

User avatar Dear scb,
Far be if for me to question a specialist regarding an expert opinion. I cannot help, however, to weigh your concerns as if I were the one experiencing them. I am interested in knowing what ultrasound equipment is able to tell if a cyst (or cyst like object) is or is not benign. Nipple discharge, other than lactation, is not normal, and the fact that it changed from tan to brownish and sticky is somewhat concerning to me. Is the brownish component blood? Is it possibly a precursor to an infection? Has there been any suggestion of getting a biopsy? I would indeed be very interested in knowing what your followup appointment reveals to you. Please keep us posted.

|