News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Chest pain, weakness, lymp node swell... help?

justsomeguy - Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:22 am

24, m, no real family history with cancer (one case of colon), no medications, no past surgeries, non smoker/drinker, barely overweight (you couldn't notice)

about 1.5 weeks ago I felt a dull sharp pain under my right nipple... that moved to my sternum (chest tightness) for a few days... that feeling is gone.

then, a few days ago, my lymph nodes gained alot of pressure just suddenly under my chin. The next day it moved to the area in front of my ears (felt like my head was being squeezed). That went away after a couple o days.

Now, i feel a little weak and my wrists and inner thighs feel slight weak pains and sometimes the sides of my elbows. I also feel a lump under my left jaw which isn't really present on the other side of my jaw.

I am losing appetite but not really weight (slight loss). Should i be concerned. I only have short term insurance till the end of the month and am in the underwriting process for full term insurance. I was wondering if i should wait until i hopefully get approved?

How long does lymphoma take to progress?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:48 pm

User avatar Hello,

From what you describe you seem to have a submandibular lymph node enlargement. This is located along the underside of the jaw on either side.

These are responsible for the lymphatic drainage of the tongue, submaxillary gland, lips and mouth, conjunctivae.

Common causes of enlargement include infections of head, neck, sinuses, ears, eyes, scalp, pharynx.

Given the fact that you are complaining of other symptoms as well and that I am unable to assess the severity of these symptoms I must urge you to seek direct clinical assessment.

Regarding your question about lymphoma and the duration of disease progression: it differs significantly depending on the type of lymphoma. Follicular lymphomas for example can take years to progress. Aggressive lymphomas and leukemias can progress in weeks.

As to the likelihood that you do have a lymphoma it seems unlikely from your description that the submandibular enlargment is due to lymphoma. The question that you need to find out is why they are enlarged and this requires a direct clinical examination.

Please see your doctor as soon as you can.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here