News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: Multilocular ovarian cyst

linguist - Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:12 pm

Hi ,
I need some help. When I went for my first pregancy scan 2 weeks ago the sonographer discovered a 16cm septated multilocular cyst on my right ovary. There was also no heartbeat from the babies (identical twins). I took pills to clear the miscarriage and the bleeding has almost stopped now.

I have to get a laparotomy on 18th July to remove the cyst. I am so worried -as my consultant is saying little to me can any doctor answer some of these questions? By the way I'm in Scotland.

1. Could I have cancer? My CA 125 test results were 30 which they said is slightly higher than normal.
2. Can these type of cysts be benign or are they more likely to be malignant
3. What exactly are the septations and why do they occur?
4. Will the laparotomy be really painful?
5. I have no children , I'm 35 and still want to conceive but he says he 'll probably need to remove one ovary. Can I manage with the other one?
6. Could the miscarriage and cyst be linked?

Many thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:32 pm

User avatar I'm sorry for your loss. Miscarriage is a frequent complication of pregnancy, occurring in as many as 25% of all pregnancies. It is a little hard to measure because many occur before the woman even knows she is pregnant. Most miscarriages are unexplained - we don't know what causes them and therefore can do little to prevent them in most cases. It is believed that most of the time it is nature's way of ending a pregnancy in which the baby (or babies) would not have been able to survive because things were not growing as they should. Yours sounds like one of those.

Many women have ovarian cysts which do not interfere with pregnancies. This has not even been identified as even a risk factor in miscarriage.

"Septated" simply means it is divided by a membrane rather than being totally open as a bubble. It is my understanding that malignancy rate for this type of tumor is low. Removing it will answer the question since lab analysis will be part of the treatment. So nobody can tell you today if it is cancer but I don't see major red flags here either.

You can achieve a pregnancy with only one ovary. Many women do.

Your laparotomy will likely be performed under general anesthesia so you will not feel it at all. Recovery will be as with other surgical procedures - there will be some pain/tenderness but it should be well controlled with pain relieving medications. You should expect to be on activity restriction for a couple of weeks after the surgery.

I hope this helps. Take care and let us know how things progress.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here