News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Multiple symptoms/ Abnormal Brain CT/ seeking advise

serialkitten22 - Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:40 pm

Good evening.

22/F
History: PAC,PVC, MVP. orthostatic hypertension, angina, pars plantis of eyes, migraines, multiple surgeries for ovarian cysts and removal of cysts on body ( finger joint, eyelid, leg), short term memory disfunction, unknown nerve damage causing numb spot in back upper beside spine.
Family History:Cancer, High BP, Stroke, Diabetes, Cardiac, Lupas, Blood Clots (all mother /father)
Meds: Midrine for migraines

Within the past 3 weeks the following symptoms have occurred: Right pupil now visibly larger than left. Right eye impaired with a shaded/grey tint to everything making visibility difficult and off balance. Left leg from knee to ankle completely numb.
3 episodes of blackouts (hit head twice on asphalt). Dizzy spells with confusion.
Headaches.
Today, left hand went numb on top and pinky began to tingle.
Sometimes lose balance walking and veer to one side.
Have not mentioned to doctor, but over weekend I lost ability to speak for several hours (3). Words were in my head but could not pronounce them from mouth. Went to bed like this, woke up normal next day.
A CT of brain performed a 2 weeks ago showed "looks to be" pineal cyst (not excluding neoplasm’s) with calcification and abnormal large blood vessels. All this will be confirmed with MRI next week. The rapid progression of these symptoms has me worried if next week may be too late. I doubt a small pineal cyst would cause all this. But I am not a doctor, so I ask for you advise. Should I ask my doctor to pursue further sooner?

Thank You.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:56 pm

User avatar I agree that a pineal cyst is unlikely to cause your symptoms. I am quite concerned about your symptoms. There are a few possibilities.

One is that you are having transient ischemic attacks (sort of like chest pain before a heart attack; TIA's are often warnings of a future stroke). You are quite young so this makes stroke much less likely; however, it is a serious enough issue to make it worth while to evaluate.

Another possibility is complex migraines which can produce a variety of neurological symptoms.

Seizures are also possible.

I agree you should have the MRI done. I would also recommend you see your doctor as soon as possible to discuss your symptoms and start the work up.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here