Forum Name: Cervical Cancer

Question: Bloating and pain in lower back and left rib cage

taz - Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:14 pm

I am a 39 yr old female. I just started taking metformin 2 weeks ago. I have had bloating for a few months now along with a pain that comes and goes on my left side by rib cage. My lower back is now starting to hurt/burn on and off. Used to have diarhea and now constipated. Saw Gastro doctor 2 weeks ago for pain and he advised to take 3 advil and use heating pad. It worked for a while but now it is back. I went to GYN today and had a pelvic ultrasound which they said all was normal. I am not sure what is going on. Feel like I am losing my mind. Family history with diabetes. Have had kidney stones in the past and had surgery but this doesn't feel the same
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:11 am

User avatar I think this posting would be better in a different forum because it is not likely cervical cancer.

The first thing that comes to my mind is irritable bowel syndrome. This can cause symptoms you describe. Of course many other conditions could as well. I would advise you to continue to follow up with your doctor until you find a satisfactory answer. It looks like you have done well getting the pelvic ultrasound to rule out related issues. But, stay with it until you find relief. Perhaps start with your gastroenterologist to inform him/her of your gynecological exam findings and to inform that the pain relief measures were only temporary.

Do you get any relief with anti-gas or acid relieving medication such as simethicone (Gas-X for example) or Mylanta liquid?

Good luck with this and please let us know what you learn.

|