Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Possible Lymphoma?

neala - Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:45 am

I am a 28 year old female with Celiac Disease and kidney stones. I am currently battling with gall stones and have abdominal pain and chest pain with this. I am just waiting for surgery to have my gall bladder removed. This has been going on for over a month, but is not what I am concerned about. Between a year and 6 months I have had a lump on my neck that I thought was a knot in my muscle. I was keeping an eye on it to make sure it wasn't getting bigger, but lately it went from the size of a pencil eraser head to a size of a skittle. I went to my doctor and he said it was a swollen lymph node. I have not had any infections/colds/etc the past few months as he thought it could be because of those. He is sending me for a biopsy to make sure. I had been having frequent night sweats a while back, but they are not happening as much now. I have been fatigued and tired all the time for over a year or more now. I assumed it was because of the Celiac Diseased diagnosed back in December.
My question is could this possibly be lymphoma or something else called lipoma? Can you tell the difference by feeling the lump? I know one is fatty tissue and the other is not. Also, I do not know if I am crazy, but just this morning I have a sore throat (feels like a lump in the back on the same side as my enlarged lymph node). Is sore throat another symptom. I do have quite a family history of cancer in my family. Of the closest relatives, my mother passed away from cervical cancer and grandfather passed from lung cancer. The only medication I am taking is pain meds for the gall stones and birth control. Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:59 pm

User avatar Unfortunately, I can't tell you that the lump is not lymphoma. I can say that given the odds of having lymphoma vs. the odds of having a simple enlarged lymph node greatly favor it being a lymph node.

A lipoma is a small fat cell tumor (not cancer) that is basically harmless although they can get big and cause some pain simply by location and size. They can be removed if bothersome.

Given the location I think a lipoma is less likely than a lymph node. Generally lipomas are movable and rubbery feeling (although that is basically what a normal lymph node feels like).

Since the lump is getting bigger the biopsy will help ease everyones mind and tell for sure if it is cancer or not. (I suspect it is not.)

neala - Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:59 pm

Dr. Lowe,

I had been to my GP for frequent ear infections as it seems like it isn't clearing up and he noticed my lymph node had gone down. He was a bit worried by that since the lymph node had been there for over a year. It has gone back down to it's original size (pencil eraser). Today I checked and it is back to the size of a skittle. Would there be any other reason for waxing and waning of lymph node enlargement other than indolent lymphoma?

Thanks.

|