Forum Name: Endometrial Cancer

Question: endometrial stripe

jfem - Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:07 pm

I am a 41 yo.no sig med or sur history. 4 children ( 12,9,8,6) never an abnormal pap, never any gyn issues.
Regular cycle, between 29-31 days.,.bleeding is for about 2-3 days, never any problems.
In the past 6 months, cycles have been between 26-28 days...still never any irregular bleeding, no pain, excpet during ovulation.( for about a day), most recently, a tiny bit of bladder pressure, but only slight.

Vag sono in 1/06 revealed an endometrial stripe of 6mm , uterus measured 7.9, this was taken on cycle day 6.
Vag sono on 2.07 revealed endometrial stripe of 8 mm, uterus 9.2..taken on cycle day 9.

Ob said uterus felt a little enlarged, but nothing too much.

I'm freaking out that I have endometrial cancer..she is sending me for another sono in 2 weeks...
should I be concerned?

I have no family hx of any cancer, or any issues like this.
I do not take nay medications, I exercise regularly, am not overweight , and am in generally pretty good health.

Do I need another opinion? Should I be worried?
I never had any issues like this before, so I am really upset.
Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:02 pm

User avatar Hi Jfem,

The first question that is important in being able to answer your question why did you have the ultrasounds done? Were you experiencing symptoms that led your doctor to order this?

Based on a general answer, I would not be too worried about the findings of your endometrial stripe thickness. The thickness varies dramatically in a premenopausal woman. it can range from a few millimeters up to 13-16mm during the secretory phase of the cycle. Having a stripe that is about 8mm approaching the mid-cycle is most likely normal.

Repeating the ultrasound in 2 weeks seem quite reasonable. I think the likelihood of cancer is low for you. (Keep in mind that this is a generic answer as I don't know why you had the ultrasound originally. Even so, I still think the likelihood will be low.)

jfem - Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:50 pm

Thank you for your response...

It's so reassuring to me...

The reason for the ultrasounds were "bloating", which was found to be from ulcerative colitis/ proctitis ( very mild)... and to check on the ovulation pain that I get every month. ( normal, cyclical, happens on ovulation day, lasts for a day, then goes away until the next month).

Again, thanks for your info and for your time.

J

|