Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Colon cancer risk

cavan - Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:16 am

I am a 31 year old female with a family history of colon cancer. My dad was recently diagnosed with it at the age of 66. My paternal grandfather died from it at 79. I have always had "problems" with my bowel - and I always assumed it was IBS. I would have boughts of diarrhea that only lasted one or two episodes in a day and then it was gone. For the past week and a half I have had some diarrhea and otherwise very soft stools that break apart. They are a little thinner than usual but not too thin. This is accompanied by some cramping (very mild) that comes and goes (just like when my ibs kicks in). I was also nauseated for a good part of the week.

I have a GI appt in 3 weeks for a routine colonoscopy due to my strong family history of colon cancer. I have been tested for parasites but don't have results yet. In the past 6 months I did 2 FOBT tests for blood in stool which were negative.

Just wondering what it could be. I am worrying sick that it is the worst case. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:34 pm

User avatar Hi Cavan,

There are several possible causes of your symptoms. IBS is definitely possible. Other things include inflammatory bowel diseases, celiac disease, parasites and other infectious causes (viruses, etc.).

Given your family history seeing a GI specialist and having periodic colonoscopies is important. This endoscopy should be helpful in determining what is causing your symptoms.

|