News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: 8 y/o with swollen lymph node?

vasekc - Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:10 pm

About 3 weeks ago my son said he had a bump on the side of his neck (1/2 inch under the left ear, next to the jawbone). Concerned but with no insurance I looked up online to find that it was probably just a swollen lymph node so I decided not to worry but to keep an eye on it. Well since then it's grown from about 1/2 inch to just over an inch. He says it hurts him when you touch it so I have been very gentle when trying to feel it for texture. From what I can tell it seems unmovable and while not hard like a rock, it's not mushy and rubbery. He has only complained about a very slight sore throat, so minor he says he barely notices it. His only complaint is when someone/thing touches it. Something I've also noticed which may be completely unrelated is he has a bug bit or pimple of some sort above his collarbone that has been there for at least two week but maybe longer. I've only noticed it the last two weeks because I've wondered why it was still there. Up until last week we had a kitten that loved to bite and scratch the kids. Needless to say we got rid of her but now I'm wondering if she scratched him and he got cat-scratch fever which may have caused the swollen node. Because we do not have insurance or money for that matter I am very reluctant to bring him in without knowing for sure that this warrents a visit to the doc. How long should this be swollen? How big is too big? Because it's grown over the last couple of weeks, should that be concern enough to bring him in? Other than a very, very minor sore throat he seems perfectly fine so??? I know you can't diagnose something online but I would like to know if this sounds normal or not. Thanks for any information you can offer!
 vasekc - Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:27 am

Anyone?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here