News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Colon polyps/ familial polyposis

anprdp - Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:52 am

At age 28, I underwent a colonoscopy screening due to stomach pain. I have IBS and have had it for years (since pre-puberty). During this screening, multiple polyps were found. Two of the polyps detected were already of size that they could not be removed during the colonoscopy. I later underwent a right hemicolectomy. The following year, actually 11 months since the colectomy, 5 more polyps had grown. My doctors remarks to my mother (whom came to drive me) were I would have to be screened every year as I developed them fast. My question is does this lead me to believe I have familial polyposis? From most articles I have read the number of polyps are more substantial than what I have had, but still I have quite a few and they develop so fast and tend to grow large if unchecked apparently.
My next question would be, does this mean at some point I will have cancer, no matter if I receive my screenings once a year?

Age now: 30 (next test next Feb.)
Female
Diabetes, colon polyps, more things diagnosised than I know what to do with.
Surgeries: TMJ surgery, 2 D&C's, Gallbladder removal, tubal ligation, tubal reversal, right hemicolectomy, Lap. abscess removal, 2 septoplastys, FESS, T&A, turbinate reduction

Family history: no family history of this or colon cancer from what I can find.

Current medications: Nexium 80 mg a day, Avandamet 2mg/1000mg
 anprdp - Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:54 am

Also , none of these polyps came back cancerous at this time. All were they type to cause cancer.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here