Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Still worrying about one swollen lymph node.

lmbd - Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:18 am

I have posted before but I still need some questions answered. I am a 23 yr. old female although i was 22 when I found the node. It is on the right side of my neck about 2 in. below ear on the sternomastoid muscle. I have no medical history really and no family history of cancer to speak of. I have always been really healthy for the most part since I was young. I did have alot of problems with my tonsils when I was pretty young, but have only had to go to the doctor about 4 times since I was 12. I have no symptoms at all, no night sweats or fever, no itching or fatigue. I have two young children who neither one sleep all night and I still have no trouble staying up from around 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. The node has been there to my knowledge for over 6 months. Early on I went to the doctor because it was sore, not sure if this was infection or from poking on it though but I just gotten over something that had caused me to lose my voice but I did not have to take medication. The antibiotics did make the pain in it go away, it also may have shrunken it alittle but it did not go away. It is currently the size of the end of my finger maybe just a little smaller. The measurement that I get on my finger is 1.2 cm so I would say that it is around 1 cm and not larger than 1.3. Definitly to the smaller size of this measurement though. It is very mobile and soft( I say soft as in I can push into it easily and it is def. no hard. ) Also, according to the doctor it is the only swollen node they could find in my neck. I have felt under my arms and in my breast and also in groin area and can not feel anything. I have also asked a nurse practioner that I know and she felt of it and was not concerned and I also described it to my kids pediatrician that I see pretty often, told him size and consistentcy and he said to quit worrying about it. I know that 1 cm is considered normal but could 1.2 or so that has been present for at least 6 months with no noticable change be normal also. Also, Could my constant and I mean constant poking be keeping it from going down. Should I have noticed other symptoms by now or would it have grown if it was Cancer. I have felt very similar nodes in several people adult and children included and my neice has one the same size and location in her neck this whole time. I know that you cannot diagnose me over the internet, I just want to know your oppinion, what you would think if it was you or someone you loved. Please help, I have ocd and HA that developed after my son was born with a cleft lip and pallet so more than like I would have never found the node if I hadn't been looking, you cannot feel it without knowing where it is. I actually had to find it and put the doctors hand on it before she could find it. Your oppinion would be greatly appreciated.

Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:51 pm

User avatar I would have to agree with your doctor that this is unlikely anything to cause concern, based on the information you have provided. If you can consciously try to avoid touching it or even thinking about it, there is a chance it will resolve without intervention but if not and it doesn't change, cause pain or show other signs of infection, chances it is something you just have to live with. So, again, getting used to it and not stressing over it is the best plan. I would not be concerned that it is cancer and yes, if that was the case, you would likely have other things going on as well. Also, your doctors would be more concerned if this was a risk.

Try to find distractions whenever you feel compelled to touch it, such as with alternative activities or thought processes, meditation or relaxation exercises.

Take care
 debmatt - Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:17 pm

I would bet that if you stopped touching the node and let it be for a month and then - only then - touch it so very lightly you would notice a decrease in size. I know because this is happening to me. I have had a node for 1 1/2 years on my neck. Same as yours-exactly as you described. I also have touched and proded only for it to remain inflamed. Now I touch my neck softly and cannot feel it. It is there but much smaller. I also have not had other symptoms. I am sure you are okay.

Debbie
 lmbd - Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:48 pm

Thanks so much. You have no idea how much you have helped me. I will attempt to quit touching it for a while. Once I did manage to not touch it for 7 days(THIS IS THE LONGEST SO FAR) and it did seem to go down a little. THank you for your frank and honest answere. I have asked before and all I got was a bunch of medical talk and I am sorry but that does not calm your nerves like someone being personal with you. You have not only helped me but also my family by relieving some of my stress.

THANKS AND GOD BLESS,

lmbd
 debmatt - Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:07 pm

Imbd,

I know how frightening it can be because I have gone through the same thing as you. I noticed when I went to my ENT that he did not poke and "look for" any nodes he just touched my neck and pushed in softly. He never did feel anything.
I do know that these nodes are super sensitive and reactive to our poking and proding.
Also, not having the "B" symptoms by now really means that we are okay. At the least we would be feeling very fatigued. Let me know how you do. When you feel like you need to touch it, GENTLY press on your neck with your fingers. You will get to where you don't feel it and then start to forget about it. This is what I did. Another thing to think of is if you stop touching it and it does not grow - you do not have lymphoma.

God Bless You Also! Keep those hands off!
 lmbd - Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:04 pm

Just to let you know how I was doing. My HA is totally out of control. I am now obsessing over my description was accurate enough. I told everything as truthfull as I know how. I am just mainly stressing over saying that you cant feel it if you don't know where it is. I did have to find it for the doctor and almost everyone else that I have made feel of it but I have no trouble putting my hand right on it. To be truthfull I really figure that it has been there alot longer than I realize. I have checked my neck for nodes before but I have never felt of that area. I am taking comfort in the fact that I remember what it felt like the first time I really felt of it and what position I was in and I can recreate that exact moment and It does not feel any different that it did 6 months ago. I know that if it was cancer I would have noticed some progression in size or more symptoms. I know a man that had lymphoma and beat it once. A few years later he knew it was coming back and just didn;t go to the doctor for a year and a half. By that time his nodes were the size of an orange. And it was not just one node but they were everywhere. These things help but the thing that helps the most is my neice who has an almost identical node in the same location. I know that I sound crazy since everyone says that I am fine but you have to understand HA to understand how I feel. After my son was born I went from thinking nothing could happen to me to thinking everything would happen to me. I know my real problem is my mind and that I just need to give my burdens to GOD. THanks again for all your help. Also, To DEBBIE, just pressing very lightly on my neck you cannot feel my node you have to push in fairly far, not hard but not soft and also I know where to look. My husbands great aunt is currently being treated for breast cancer that did spread into her neck nodes and she says when he examines her, he just uses a very light touch and doesn't press in hardly at all. PRay for me.

Thanks again,
lmbd

|