Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: swollen node under ear , hard , over 1cm

kmair - Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:55 am

Hello I am a 30 yr old female and I have a Lump right under my ear between the jaw bone and neck bone i think, where it goes into a triangular shape. I would say it is definantly over 1 cm and is hard to the touch . It is on the left side , I also have a smaller rubbery node on the left side of neck though that has been there for at least 10 yrs. I get frequent headaches on the left side and have also noticed vision in only the left eye when used on its own is becoming more blurred . I also have a pain in my upper back it almost feels like theres a lump which comes and goes. I have developed a cough which is productive but only happens 4 or 5 times per day .Does this mean anything , i feel some pain going into the ear as if the lump is pressing on the bone or something.
Thanks in advance

May i also ask rather than posting a second time , my 5 yr old daughter has an enlarged tonsil on the left , it goes half way across the throat , she has had tonsilitis twice in 2 yrs . But one tonsil has remained enlarged and a funny shape with veinish type streaks on it . She has lost 2 kilos in weight , has slight anemia (although doc said its dietry) and her bloods slightly elevated to suggest infection . She has had meds etc no infection found. No GF etc. She has night sweats which make her nightwear damp. We have been to ENT and she is waiting on an appointment to have her adenoids(they are enlarged) and the tonsils removed , the left tonsil will be sent to pathology.They are going to test for lymphoma etc what is the likelyhood of this and how long should we wait on the waiting list for? Bit worried it could take months for an inpatient appointment to become available

sorry I forgot to add my daughter has swollen glands , small size running down the back of her neck either side and a bigger lump under chin/upper neck area

Thankyou again

Kelly
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:21 am

User avatar Hi Kelly,

Regarding your lump, most likely you have a scarred lymph node that will not get smaller. If it is not getting any larger it is unlikely to be concerning. It is worth monitoring, however, occasionally to see if there is any change.

With your other symptoms it is a good idea to see your doctor and discuss all your symptoms to see if you need any other work up.

Your daughter may have simple enlarged lymph nodes, or may be fighting off an infection currently. The tonsils are really a variation of lymph nodes and can get bigger with infection.

When one tonsil is larger than the other and the child is sick, an abscess must always be considered.

With her night sweats, etc. testing for lymphoma is reaonable. By statistical odds, lymphoma is less likely than other things; however, because of its severity it warrants evaluation for.

Another consideration would be infections such as valley fever or histoplasmosis (depending on where you live) that can cause essentially all these symptoms.

I would recommend you continue to follow up with your pediatrician to have her properly evaluated.

|