News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: Ovarian Cancer Metastis Symptomology

mcbc - Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:26 pm

[i]I am a 48 year-old female. I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer April, 2006. I had complete hysterectomy done (inclusive of ovaries, cervix and appendix). I experienced deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Heparin treatment initially failed and had internal bleed in abdomen resulting in severe anemia and blood loss. Vena cava filter was placed. Three weeks later unable to remove filter as it was still capturing clots. It is now permanently placed. Heparin therapy finally worked and was put on Coumadin upon discharge. Within one month spleen enlarged and suffered pleural effusion. In following month, huge gallstone found and feared would go into duct so gallbladder removed. Once off Coumadin for this procedure, I stayed off with pulmonologist running all blood tests to ensure blood factors not an issue, although he was not pleased I did this. I was fatigued all the time, had malaise feeling and was losing hair. No chemotherapy or raditation therapy was recommended as cancer caught at stage 1B. Since gallbladder removal, have developed odd things--pulmonary nodule in lung (continuing to monitor), cherry angiomas, redness in palms, itching on right cheek and under chinline and right side of abdomen, severe right pelvic pain that last 30-60 minutes two to three times per week, pain under right side of rib cage and into back, finding of suspected hemangioma on liver, lightheadness and appetite decrease. In addition, within two-three months gained 30 pounds with no change in diet or exercise. General CBC done and no problems found. Thryoid blood work still out. Seeing a gastro-enterlogist later this week and hematologist next week. Could these things be connected to the ovarian cancer? Could it be metastising and is there a timeframe on how long before a conclusive diagnosis could be made regarding that? Are there other tests I should ask for? I am scared. Any help would be so appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:44 pm

User avatar Hi Mcbc,

My knowledge of ovarian cancer is a bit limited so please take what I say with caution. Some of your symptoms could be due to cancer recurrence, especially the spot on the lungs. I'm not sure all your symptoms can be explained by a cancer recurrence, though.

There are plenty of other possible causes of your symptoms as well so my best advise to you would be to follow up with your oncologist for an evaluation. You may need some further imaging and testing to help determine if a recurrence has occurred.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here